For many women, their hair is a source of pride, their crowning glory. So, it’s particularly distressing when a woman’s hair starts to thin out, exposing patches of barren scalp, and leaving her to wonder, “Why me?” After all, isn’t it men who are supposed to experience pattern baldness, not women?
Many conditions can bring about hair loss. Some of the most common are pregnancy, thyroid disorders, and anemia; but also too can autoimmune disease, certain skin conditions, poor diet, and stress. Other causes for hair loss can be traced to physical trauma (such as surgery or intense illness), a significant loss of weight loss over a short period of time, or taking too much Vitamin A.
Hair products and harsh chemicals can affect the health of our hair. Tight weaves, aggressive coloring, and the use of flat irons are some ways that we try to get our hair looking great but can have negative impacts.
Also too is the nervous habit called trichotillomania. Also known as hair–pulling disorder, trichotillomania is a psychological disorder that involves recurrent, irresistible urges to pull out hair from the scalp, eyebrows and other areas of your body, despite trying to stop.
Losing some hair is normal; it happens to all of us every day. But when the hair isn’t naturally replaced – either due to the conditions mentioned above or as a side effect of any number of medications – you may be left with patterns of hair loss.
The good news is that MAXIM Facial Aesthetics offers surgical and nonsurgical options to cease, preserve and restore hair – for both women and men. MAXIM use the latest effective, cutting-edge therapies to help you stop hair loss promptly.
Surgical options for women include:
- Hair transplants – in which your own “donor” hair is removed from another area of your head and is transferred to the balding area.
- Body hair transplants – in which donor hair is transferred to another area of your body, such as the chest, abdomen, or pubic region.
- Eyebrow restoration – which involves transferring hair from a donor site to the face and is carefully arranged for aesthetically pleasing and natural-looking eyebrows.
Women considering hair restoration may seek out these nonsurgical options:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy – which involves taking a sample of your blood, running it through a centrifuge machine to separate out the growth-factor rich platelets, and injecting them into a target area to promote growth and healing. This is especially useful for patients in the early stages of hair loss, including women. PRP therapy may be used alone or in combination with many other procedures.
- Scalp Micropigmentation – which involves the use of very tiny needles to deposit pigment into an area of the scalp to provide the appearance of hair where there is none.
- Laser hair therapy – When applied to the scalp, last therapy can stimulate hair growth in areas where your hair is damaged or thinning. This is a popular noninvasive technique chosen by women and men to combat hair loss.
At MAXiM Facial Aesthetics, we offer a wide variety of surgical and nonsurgical options to restore hair for men and women. Get your complimentary consultation by calling us at (646) 475-2099 or using our convenient online appointment request form to schedule an appointment at our New York City or Long Island locations.