Dermal Fillers & Neuromodulator Injections
Wrinkles are inevitable. Fun in the sun, aging, smoking, and worry can all take a toll on the skin. But you don’t have to let every moment of your life show on your face.
Injections of dermal fillers and neuromodulators are two of our most popular nonsurgical techniques used to combat common facial wrinkles such as laugh lines, crow’s feet, and the vertical lines between the eyes (glabellar lines). Although both procedures involve a few tiny injections, they work in different ways.
At MAXiM Facial Aesthetics, we know that each patient has his or her own story to tell – and the best course of treatment should begin with that in mind. Which procedure is most appropriate to alleviate wrinkles will depend on how those lines got there.
It’s the collagen and elastin in our skin that keeps it strong, healthy looking, and able to snap back to its original shape after stretching. Fat in the deeper subcutaneous level of the skin lends a youthful fullness to the face. Over time, we lose quantities of all three – collagen, elastin, and fat – resulting in loose, sagging skin and the formation of unwanted creases or furrows on the face.
And that’s exactly where aesthetic solutions such as dermal fillers and neuromodulator injections come in.
Dermal fillers, also known as “soft tissue fillers,” diminish facial wrinkles by filling in the area under the skin. A gel-like substance is injected into certain areas of the face, restoring volume and “smoothing out” fine lines, wrinkles, and folds in the skin. Dermal fillers may also be used to plump up the lips.
There are many different dermal-filler products on the market and selecting one that’s right for you may depend on several factors such as the location and severity of facial lines to be treated, filler materials, and the desired effect and duration. Dermal fillers may be natural or synthetic, and effects can last anywhere between 6 months and 5 years.
Here are a few of the most popular dermal fillers used at MAXiM Facial Aesthetics:
Juvederm utilizes a nonanimal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA), a synthetic nonallergenic version of a naturally occurring substance in the skin. Juvederm is used primarily for moderate to severe wrinkles and is made by Allergan, the manufacturer of Botox.
We are well-versed in use of the entire suite of Juvederm products, including:
- Juvederm XC – instantly smooths moderate to severe wrinkles around the nose and mouth for up to 1 year.
- Juvederm Ultra XC – adds fullness to lips for up to 1 year.
- Juvederm Volbella XC – adds subtle volume to lips and softens the appearance of vertical lines around the lips for up to 1 year.
- Juvederm Vollure XC – the newest addition to the Juvederm family of dermal fillers, it softens moderate to severe facial lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth for up to 18 months.
- Juvederm Voluma XC – adds a subtle volume to the cheeks for a more youthful appearance for up to 2 years.
Restylane provides natural-looking results by smoothing away moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds. Like Juvaderm, it is a nonanimal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA)-based gel. It is manufactured by Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation and approved for use in patients 21 and older.
At MAXiM Facial Aesthetics, we are experienced with the entire Restylane family of products, including:
- Restylane – may be used or add volume and fulness to skin of the face, or for lip enhancement in patients over the age of 21. Effects last up to 18 months. Restylane-L indicates the anesthetic lidocaine is included in the injection, helping to reduce patient discomfort during and after the procedure.
- Restylane Defyne – designed to treat deep laugh lines for up to 6 months.
- Restylane Lyft – used to add lift and volume to the cheeks. Formerly known as Perlane, this large-particle filler is a thicker version of Restylane and used for deeper crevices in the face, so its effects tend to last longer. Lyft includes lidocaine to help reduce discomfort during and after treatment. Effects last up to 1 year.
- Restylane Refyne – softens laugh lines to maintain facial expression while offering more natural, younger-looking skin for up to 6 months.
- Restylane Silk – provides subtle lip augmentation and smooths wrinkles around the mouth. Effects lasted for six months in clinical studies.
How long a product lasts will depend on where it is injected (areas experiencing more muscle activity will metabolize the filler faster than areas with less muscle activity).
Additional dermal fillers include:
- BELOTERO BALANCE® – One of the lightest formulas made with a synthetic hyaluronic acid, so it can be injected higher up in the skin. It is often the first type of dermal filler a patient uses and for that reason is sometimes called the "starter filler." Effects last 6 months or more.
- RADIESSE® – An injectable dermal filler comprised of calcium hydroxlapatite (CaHA) microspheres suspended in gel. It adds volume under the skin and stimulates the body to produce its own collagen, before being absorbed into the body. Effects last 1 year or more.
- Sculptra® – Designed to restore volume and contouring to the face, especially for patients with low body weight or genetic hollowing of cheeks, for example. Made of poly-L-lactic acid, it is a synthetic lactic acid that gradually is absorbed into the body. Effects may last up to 1 year.
These dermal fillers are safe, with very little or no downtime after a quick in-office procedure. Effects are immediate, although repeat treatments may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
Neuromodulators are injectable drugs that relax and soften wrinkles in the skin by preventing facial muscles from contracting.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is the most widely recognized neuromodulator used for cosmetic purposes. It involves injections of a solution containing botulin neurotoxin, which in small doses acts as a muscle relaxant. Because of this, neuromodulators are not recommended for facial lines not caused by muscle movement, such as wrinkles from sun damage or sagging skin. It may take up to a week for muscles in the area treated to fully relax. The effect may last up to 6 months. Two other popular neuromodulators used here at MAXiM Facial Aesthetics that also use botulinum toxin type A are Dysport and Xeomin®.
Many of our clients swear by Dysport®, which is newer to the neuromodulator market than Botox, and offers more variety in size and molecular weight of proteins within the drug – allowing it to more easily spread out and cover a larger area. Because of this improved diffusion, results may be seen slightly faster with Dysport.
Stem Cell Enhancement
Want to boost your odds of a successful nonsurgical facial aesthetic procedure? Ask us about using stem cells to enhance your treatment and recovery.
Interested in exploring nonsurgical ways to rid yourself of wrinkles? Contact MAXiM Facial Aesthetics of New York City and Long Island today to find out whether a dermal filler such as Juvederm or a neuromodulator like Botox or Dysport may be right for you. Call us at (646) 475-2099 or schedule your complimentary consultation using our convenient online appointment request form.